Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stepping (skating?) up to Mike's mic

Pittsburgh can wrap up a sweep against Philadelphia in a couple hours. Then they will be in their first Final since 1992. The game will be on CBC TV here in Canada. Last night, TSN ran a great Top 10 list: Top 10 Mike Lange Calls. Since 1975, Mike has been a vital part of the Pittsburgh hockey scene and the voice of the Penguins, having never missed a broadcast. If you don't have time to click on the link above, I've transcribed them here:
10. Scratch my back with a hacksaw
9. Smoke ‘em like a bad cigar
8. Get that dog off my lawnmower
7. Michael, Michael Motorcycle
6. Cry or wind his watch
5. Get in the fast lane Grandma, the bingo game is ready to roll
4. Buy Sam a drink and get his dog one too
3. Ladies and Gentleman, Elvis has just left the building
2. Beat him (goalie) like a rented mule
1. Lord Stanley, get me the brandy

No doubt, there were plenty more in the running. In fact, the Mike Lange Tournament of Quotes recently took place. Mike also grabbed the top spot on a recent list of the 5 Best Announcers In Sports.

For us Buffalo Sabre fans, enjoy these Top 10 Rick Jeanneret Calls.

1 comment:

  1. Hey thanks for the link to my site. Much appreciated. Hoping this things gets picked up so I can do what I love to do. Write/comment on hockey.

    ReplyDelete